More Q & A's

Are registered works protected internationally, or do they have to be registered separately in each country?


If your work was created in one of the 162 nations which are part of the Berne Convention then your work will be protected in all other Berne Convention nations. It is therefore not necessary to seek protection in each individual nation. The vast majority of countries are signed up to the Berne convention, however nations which are not signatories of the Convention are outside the scope of the IP Rights Office. If this is your concern please contact The Copyright King directly for further information.


Should I register under my name or my business's name?


Registrations should be made under the legal name of the person or body which owns the copyright. If you create a work in the course of employment you will probably find that the business employing you owns the copyright, however you should check your contract of employment for clarification. If you are the owner of your own business you should register the work under the name of the body you anticipate will use or profit from the work. For instance, if the work in question is a website for your business then it should be registered in the name of the business. If it is a novel you have written which is unrelated to your business then it should be registered in your own name.


If I am using a name other than my legal name (such as a pen name or my maiden name) what name should I register my work under?

Your work should be registered under your legal name. Any professional pseudonyms that you use should be inserted in the appropriate field during registration. Your legal name and any professional pseudonyms will be displayed on your registration.


Why is it advisable to register a work?


If you have created a work which has value to you then you need to be able to protect it from being copied, stolen, or subject to other unauthorized use. To do this, you need to be able to prove that you are the rightful owner of the work. If someone else publishes your work under their name then they will be assumed to be the rightful copyright-holder, unless you can prove otherwise. Registering your work through the Copyright Kingprovides independent third-party verification of your ownership of your work, helping to protect your rights and avoid lengthy and/or unsuccessful legal proceedings. 


Is there a cost to register a work?


Yes. There is a small administrative charge made for each work registered. The cost is $150.00 per an application and depending on the amount of material and authorship will determine how many copyrights you will need.  


How can payment be made? Is it secure?


Payment is accepted online via the internet payment processing company Paypal. Payment can be made using a variety of credit and debit cards, dependent upon the currency you choose to pay in. Payment may also be made securely over the phone with The Copyright King, LLC at 601-207-4448.


What currencies are accepted?


We accept payments in Australian dollars, British pounds, Canadian dollars, Euros, New Zealand dollars, and US dollars. However, it does not matter if your local currency is not listed. You can select any currency to pay in, regardless of your local currency, and your card company will automatically handle the currency exchange for you.


What do I do if my currency isn't accepted?


This does not matter. Select any currency, and your card company should handle the currency exchange automatically for you.


Is there a maximum file size?


Yes. Files must not exceed 10MB. If your file is larger than 10MB then you can take certain steps to try and reduce the file size.  If you are unable to reduce your file to a small enough size you may have to consider splitting it into separate files to be registered separately (for instance, chapters of a book; directories of a website; verses of a song). A separate fee must be paid for each file. Alternatively, consider rendering your file in textual form, if possible. For instance, instead of submitting a recording of a speech, consider transcribing it and submitting the text of the speech. Instead of submitting a recording of a song, you could consider submitting the text and notation of the lyrics and music.


How do I find out how big my file is?


Find the file you want to register on your computer and right-click it. Click "Properties" from the menu that appears. The details of the file will be shown, including its size. 


What kind of files can be registered?


Files can be registered which end with the following file extensions (a file extension is the collection of letters after the "." in your filename, which tells you the format of your file):


• .asf

• .avi

• .bmp

• .doc

• .docx

• .gif

• .htm

• .html

• .jpeg

• .jpg

• .mp3

• .mpeg

• .mpg

• .pdf

• .png

• .rtf

• .shtml

• .swf

• .tif

• .tiff

• .txt

• .wav

• .wma

• .wmv

• .zip


The file extension is sometimes difficult to see in newer versions of Microsoft Windows. Here are some common file extensions and the types of files that use them:

Microsoft Word: .doc

Microsoft Word (2007): .docx

Web pages: .htm, .html, .shtml

Image files:.bmp, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff

Plain text files: .txt, .rtf

Compressed (zipped) folder: .zip


If you are still unsure about your file extension then you can try attaching your file to a blank email. Once the file is shown in the attachment window it will usually show its full name, including the file extension. Alternatively, find the file on your computer and right-click it, then select "Open With...".The following window will give the name of your file, including the file extension.


If all else fails, you can put any file into a compressed (.zip) file and it will be accepted. To do this in Windows XP or Vista, right-click your file and follow the "Send to" arrow, then select "Compressed (zipped) folder". This will create a .zip file containing your file. You can then submit the .zip file.


Can I submit a collection of works as a single registration?


You should submit your work as you intend it to be presented. For instance, if you have written a collection of poems that you intend to present to a publisher for publication as a collection you may register this as a single work. The poems may be submitted as a single file, or bundled together as a zip file. The registration will be made under the title of the collection. No reference will be made to the individual poems.


Similarly, if you are registering a website then you do not need to register each page separately. All the pages can be compiled in a zip file and submitted under the name of the website.


However, if your poems are to be presented as separate works (for instance, if you are submitting individual poems to magazines) then they should be registered separately. Likewise, you cannot combine multiple websites or other works in one zip file and submit them as a single registration. The registration refers to the submitted work as a whole, and this should be a single entity known by one title.


Can I register a work by submitting a sample, plan, or description?


No. Copyright covers recorded works only – it does not cover ideas or planned works. You may submit a plan or synopsis, etc. but it will be the plan or synopsis itself which is covered – not the proposed work to which it refers.


Contact Us:


Facebook: The Copyright King





Twitter: @copyrightking



Office: 601-207-4448



****OR USE OUR contact form.


Business Hours

We are open from:

9AM - 5PM


Connect With Us.

Like us on Facebook to find out our latest promotions and special offers.

If you want a professional, very affordable website custom designed for your company or organization.


King’s Web Design
903-354-5463 Office
601-291-0303 Cell

Print Print | Sitemap
© The Copyright King